- 1 1/2 cup Almonds, raw
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 7 Dates, dried, pits removed
- 3/4 cup Cocoa Powder, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar, packed
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Milk, 1%
- 1/4 cup Canola Oil
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Orange Extract
- 1 cup Water, boiling
- 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil, Extra Virgin
- 1/4 cup Milk, 1%
- 2 Tbsp. Cocoa Powder, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup Sugar, powdered
- 1 Tbsp. Orange Peel, grated
It’s easy to add something healthy to this favorite chocolate dessert. Reduce the amount of processed sugar by using dates (which have fiber, minerals, and natural sweetness). Then health-up your flour by grinding some almonds into the mix. Easy substitutions; delicious results!
- Remove pits from dates and soak in 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven 350°F
- Prepare 9” round baking pan by spraying with non-stick spray
- Put almonds and flour in a blender or food processor. Grind to a flour.
- In a mixing bowl, combine almond flour mixture, cocoa powder, brown sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Pour the milk and dates into the blender. Blend until dates are pureed.
- Add milk-date mixture, canola oil, eggs, and orange extract to the dry ingredients. Mix on medium until well combined. Meanwhile, boil water.
- Add the boiling water to the batter. Mix on low until well combined. Then, increase speed to high and mix for one minute.
- Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake in heated oven for 30-35 minutes. When take, cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes before removing from pan.
- For glaze, heat olive oil, milk, and 2 Tbsp. Cocoa powder in a small pan until boiling. Remove from heat. Next, whisk in powdered sugar and grated orange peel until smooth
- To serve, dust cake with a little bit of powdered sugar, followed by a thin drizzle of the chocolate glaze. Serve with a garnish of sliced orange and other fruit of your choice.