- 1-2 pkg Ladyfingers
- 4 cup strong coffee, freshly brewed
- 1 lb. Mascarpone Cheese
- 5 Eggs, MUST be fresh
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- Cocoa Powder (to dust on top)
- Dissolve 2 Tbsp. of sugar into the coffee. If desired, you can add a splash of brandy or rum as well.
- Separate the yolks from the egg whites. Beat yolks with sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add mascarpone and blend.
- Beat egg whites in electric mixer until stiff. Fold into egg yolk mixture a little at a time.
- Dip the ladyfingers in the coffee then layer in the bottom of an 8x10 casserole dish, alternating a layer of cookie, layer of cheese, layer of cookie, ending with a layer of cheese.
- Top with a dusting of cocoa powder. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Cook’s note: Because raw eggs are used, you must be sure they are fresh! Get them from a health food store and be sure they have been properly stored.
Fresh eggs sink in water and lay on their side. As an alternative, you can replace the eggs with 2 cups sweetened whipping cream.
Feel free to prepare this in individual serving dishes as well, even 1 cup mason jars.